The Atlantic Lottery Corp. was formed in 1976 by the governments of the four Atlantic provinces to manage and market gaming activities on their behalf. At startup, the Lottery’s one product was A-1, a passive ticket with a draw held every two weeks.
ALC has come a long way since then, accomplishing numerous “firsts” in the lottery industry while blazing a trail of both game and technological innovation. Among its achievements, ALC was the first to:
- launch and market a spiel game in Canada, with TAG in 1988
- introduce video lottery in Canada, beginning in December 1990
- successfully develop bingo into a lottery ticket
- develop in-house expertise and facilities to repair and maintain gaming terminals
- develop the technology to place bar codes on lottery tickets and introduce bar-code readers/wands to validate tickets.
- develop PROS (Prize Redemption Online System), allowing validation of online and instant games on a retailer’s terminal
- develop a PC-based lottery terminal
- develop the first IP-based (Internet Protocol) lottery terminal network
- launch a website in North America
- launch a free online membership club in Canada
- sell lottery tickets online in North America through a secure, regulated website, in August 2004
The lottery’s current game portfolio includes the national Lotto Max and Lotto 6/49, plus an extensive menu of ALC-only draw games including Atlantic 49, ShaBam, Bucko, Salsa Bingo, GeoSweep, Keno and Pick 4, TAG and Twist. Sports betting, instant games and pulltabs are also offered. In addition, ALC runs the region’s video lottery program and operates two Prince Edward Island racetrack casinos.
ALC is a proud sponsor of community events – both large and small – across Atlantic Canada. Every year, ALC sponsors and supports an extensive and diverse range of cultural, sporting, charitable and community events. In 2011, Atlantic Lottery sponsored more than 50 festivals and events throughout the provinces.
The Lottery also supports major events through brand sponsorships which help ensure their success, including the CFL Touchdown Atlantic, the Cavendish Beach Music Festival and the Scotties Tournament of Hearts.
All profits from ALC activities are returned to the provincial governments. They use it for things like social programs, roads and education.
Year Established: 1976
Products Offered: Scratch'n Win, 4-digit game (Pik 4), KENO Atlantic, sports betting (PRO·LINE, GameDay and OVER/UNDER), Breakopen, Lotto 6/49 (matrix: 6/49), Lotto Super 7(matrix: 7/47), Atlantic 49 (matrix 6/49), Atlantic PAYDAY (matrix: 4/77) video lottery, and TAG (spiel game) on Lotto 6/49, Pik 4, and KENO Atlantic.
Four shareholders: Lotteries Commission of New Brunswick (NB), The Nova Scotia Gaming Corporation (NS), the Prince Edward Island Lotteries Commission (PE), The Province of Newfoundland & Labrador (NF).
Newfoundland & Labrador
Prince Edward Island